Contractor’s Pollution Liability Insurance Toronto
Typically, contractor’s liability insurance or general contractor’s insurance will have total environmental exclusion. This means that any problems caused or aggravated by a project (e.g. the spread of moulds, oil spills, etc.) will not be covered by contractor’s liability insurance.
In industries like construction, demolition, restoration, storage tank installation, landscaping and the like, there is always the risk that mistakes, lack of information, or sometimes just poor timing, will trigger gradual or immediate environmental pollution. If resulting in health risks to people within the vicinity, this can be disastrous for the company and the contractor – not just in terms of reputation but also in terms of liabilities.
That’s where KASE Insurance comes in. To be protected from environmental claims, contractor’s pollution liability insurance in Toronto is a must. We can help you get the coverage you need in case of environmental pollution.
What is Contractor’s Pollution Liability Insurance?
Pollution liability insurance is an insurance policy that provides added coverage for contractors against environmental claims. Most, if not all, types of contract workers need this type of insurance because work in this industry has a high potential to cause or aggravate environmental pollution.
To further understand this insurance policy, let’s quickly go over how pollution is defined. Pollution occurs upon the discharge, release, or escape of any solid, liquid, gaseous, or thermal irritant, contaminant, or pollutant. As such, pollution can occur within structures as well as in outdoor settings.
Why is Pollution Liability Insurance Important?
In the past decades, legislation has been put in place to protect Canada’s natural environment. As a result of this, in the event of sudden or gradual pollution resulting from construction, demolition, landscaping, and the like, environmental claims can go well above $100,000. Another point to consider is that claims can pile up because of cleanup costs or health risks/damage to the people near the site.
Environmental liabilities could happen as a result of a simple mistake or lack of foresight when working with hazardous chemicals, or even just a matter of chance. If this happens, steep claims can be demanded from you or your company, whether or not it’s anyone’s direct fault. Having pollution liability insurance in Toronto is not just a smart business practice, but a necessity in these times.
What Does Contractor’s Pollution Liability Insurance Cover?
The main objective of contractor’s pollution liability insurance in Toronto is to provide coverage from environmental claims when pollution occurs or is worsened by any work being done. Although this policy can be tailored for different professions, let’s discuss the main coverages that this insurance policy generally has – along with example scenarios:
1. Sudden Environmental Pollution
These are incidents of pollution that occur immediately after a specific task is completed by a contractor. In such events, this insurance policy will cover the environmental claims and legal fees. Here are a few examples:
- A construction contractor accidentally strikes an old tank that nobody was initially aware of. The contractor will be held responsible for the resulting spill and would face environmental claims.
- A janitorial contractor accidentally mixes cleaning materials containing ammonium and chlorine, resulting in the formation of a toxic gas which leads to toxic respiratory distress for the people in the vicinity.
- A paving contractor encounters heavy rain right after applying a tack coat on a new road and the toxic material is washed into a nearby body of water. Though the rain could have been unforeseen, the contractor will be held responsible and environmental claims can be made.
2. Gradual Environmental Pollution
Gradual environmental pollution happens after a span of time when the incident of pollution can be linked to a recently completed project. Contractor’s pollution liability insurance in Toronto will cover the environmental claims and legal fees in such events. Here are a few examples:
- An HVAC installer completes the installation of an HVAC system, but days later people in the building complain about breathing problems and the building closes temporarily as a result. Though the HVAC may be installed with the right specifications, if no other cause can be traced, the contractor can be held responsible and sued.
- A mechanical contractor works on helping to remove an underground tank. If days after the contractor’s work, the tank’s leakage becomes evident and cannot be linked to another cause, the contractor could face environmental claims for the spill.
3. Mould & Legionella Coverage
This policy under pollution liability insurance in Toronto covers environmental claims resulting from the release and/or cultivation of mould or Legionella. Here are a few example scenarios:
- Mould can be discovered by a renovation contractor during the project. If afterwards, the mould spreads within the structure, the contractor could face environmental claims.
- Legionella is a bacteria that could be inhabiting a water source. Breathing the mist from contaminated shower or air-conditioning units for larger buildings will give affected people Legionnaires’ disease. A contractor involved in the installation or maintenance of the aforementioned could face environmental claims.
4. Emergency Response Costs & Clean Up
In cases where the resulting pollution requires an emergency response or clean up efforts, this insurance policy will cover the cleanup expenses as well. A common example of this is when any project causes an oil spill. Or in an earlier example, it could be toxic material such as that coming from the tack coat of a new road spilling into a body of water due to sudden heavy rain.
Who Needs Contractor’s Pollution Liability Insurance?
Incidents of environmental pollution can come from anywhere and happen anytime, whether indoors or outdoors. Possibly the most worrisome attribute of environmental liability is that it can be caused by something totally outside of anyone’s control. It can happen because of a simple mistake that leads to big consequences, lack of information, or just plain chance. That’s why it is advised for all contractors to ensure that they are covered by pollution liability insurance in Toronto.
Of all the types of contractors though, the ones working in industries in the following list have the highest risk of their work resulting in environmental pollution, however, it’s not limited to these professions
- Janitorial Services
- Pesticide and Fertilizer Application
- HVAC Installation
- Oil and Gas
- Storage Tank Installation
- Street/Road Maintenance
Anyone working in construction should consider getting contractor’s pollution liability insurance straight away.
Why Choose KASE Insurance?
Working in construction, landscaping, renovation, demolition, plumbing, and similar industries requires one to be prepared for anything. We’ve reiterated above that environmental claims are steep, and can cost around $100,000.
As one of the top insurance providers in Canada, KASE Insurance is your partner in securing you or your employees’ protection from environmental claims through our pollution liability insurance policies in Toronto. KASE Insurance has wide experience working with clients from various industries, including the construction industry. When you choose our services, you can be certain that you’re in good hands.
Contact us today and let’s get started!
Read what clients have to say about KASE
By far the most professional and trustworthy insurance brokerage I have known. We have been working with this firm for number of years now and I have nothing but good to say about their team and services. Stan and his team won't stop until we are fully satisfied. They are always on top of things, super fast in their assistance and very professional. I highly recommend this firm to anyone seeking for great insurance brokerage to work with. Big Thank You to Stan and Kase Insurance for many many years of great service!
Reviewer: Alex K
out of 5 stars
Stan and is team at KASE Insurance have been fantastic in explaining what insurance we needed for our business. Very hands on approach and detailed. I work highly recommend KASE Insurance for any business owner looking for great service.
Reviewer: Kyle Grooms
5 out of 5 stars
The KASE team is very easy to work with. They answer your questions quickly, walk you through the process patiently, and find you great rates. We've been working with them for a few years and we haven't felt the need to shop elsewhere because of their customer service.
Reviewer: Sasha Boersma
5 out of 5 stars
I had the pleasure of working with Arian Ebrahimi at KASE Insurance. He was very knowledgable about the industry, was very responsive throughout the whole process. I felt that he acted in my best interest and I would definitely recommend him to anyone!
I had a really hard time finding home insurance for short term rentals until I found KASE Insurance! They were really helpful in finding me an affordable home insurance for my Airbnb unit!
The KASE team helped us in arranging the best possible insurance policy for our business. We were very impressed by their overall knowledge and effort in getting us the right the policy. Highly recommended!